Great Books of 2011!

Thanks to my neighborhood book club, I rekindled my love of reading this year! The Nester is linking up good reads, and here are my favorites, in no particular order:

1. Sarah's Key by Titiana de Rosnay - You will cry your eyes out reading this story about the Holocaust in France. But it is a great story with an uplifting ending.

2. Pilliars of the Earth by Ken Follet - This is by far the best book I have ever read. It is long, but the writing is excellent. You feel like you know these characters, and you are cheering for the heroine while cursing the villian.

3. Winter Garden by Kristen Hannah - One of my favorites from this year. The story is told in present day with flashbacks. We enjoyed some Russian Vodka shots at book club (you will understand if you read the book). I highly recommend this!

4. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - You are living under a rock if you haven't heard of this book. It was a great read, although I was disappointed in the ending. I would have wrote the ending differently. I just saw the movie, and loved it as well!

5. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins - The first book was a book club selection, and I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. Although, I did want to read the next book, so in hindsite, I did like it. The second book was the best of all three. I read the second book, Catching Fire, in about 2 days. I could not put it down. The third book, Mockingjay was good, and wrapped up the series quite nicely. I am looking forward to the movie coming out this spring!

6. A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard - True story written by Jaycee, who was abducted at age 11 and finally free after 18 years. The story is disturbing. I wanted to read this after seeing her interview with Diane Sawyer. Although it was hard to read parts of it, I imagine it was incredibly hard for Jaycee to write it. I felt like we owed it to her to read it.

7. The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels -- A Love Story by Ree Drummund - If you haven't already read this story on Ree's Blog, it is so worth reading. A fun true story about how she met and married her rancher husband.

Hopefully you will enjoy some of these books! I am currently reading Tina Fey's book, Bossypants, and will post a review on that when I complete it.

Comments

Popular Posts